Name:
Location: Ona, West Virginia, United States

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Consider it pure joy?

One of the most intriguing verses in the bible comes from James chapter one verse 2 "consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds.......". While I understand the concept and know that it is through these trials that I've grown the most, I seldom consider it "joy" while I'm enduring them. While there are times that I experience peace beyond understanding in tough times, mostly I'm miserable. Why are we not experiencing joy during tough times? Is it a lack of faith? Are we separated from God?

Last weeks visit to Florida got me pondering these questions again. Our reason to go to Florida was to see Dr. Chris and Miss Amy (proper terminology for the south). I mentioned in yesterdays post that we saw Aunt Polly also (I believe divinely appointed.) Dr. Chris and Miss Amy are some of the most wonderful people we've ever met. We worked with them at SC where we each had a home of troubled teenagers (poor term; should refer to them as off spring of screwed up parents). We didn't have a lot of contact with them during those 3 years we worked together but we always knew they were "special". We moved to Florida to work in a group home and they soon followed. We left 5 months after they came. During those 5 months we lived next door to each other and interacted with each other constantly. Christ lives in these people. We both endured extreme emotional abuse from our "christian" administrators.
I will not go into details because I don't think it would serve any purpose. We talked about the abuse Jesus endured and how he took it willing and realized that what we were going through was nothing compared to what he endured and we would get peace for a season but then we would get our feelings hurt again. We just couldn't let go and allow God to control.

We left the group home in Florida; Dr. Chris and Miss Amy stayed. They believed so strongly in the mission of the home (as we still do). They've worked so hard, doing much of the administrators work; reaching out and trying to minister to them. They've sacrificed financially; worked without any pay for long periods of time. They've had the great privilidge of seeing children and families totally changed by the Lord in spite of the the chaos with management. That was another highlight of our trip. We visited the home of twin boys we had in our home. Praise God for a changed home!

The stress of the situation is taking its toll. Both are having health problems. They are tired. I am angry! Why do "christian" bosses do this to their employees? We went to work for a Jew-one of the most "christ-like" people I've ever worked for. Barna points out that there is virtually no difference in the actions of "born again" christians in the US and their counterparts. This should not be! If we are "born again" should there not be a new life? It all starts with you and me. Do we love the Lord with all our hearts and our neighbors as ourselves? Otherwise, I'm afraid we are "pretenders". I'm talking to me!

Dr. Chris and Miss Amy are not experiencing much joy now. Is it a lack of faith? Is God telling them to move on? They have been offered other employment but feel committed to the children in their home and trapped with the whole health insurance situation with changing employment. What would you do?

4 Comments:

Blogger delilah said...

I don't have any advice. I definately don't think I am qualified....Chris and Amy are far wiser than I... BUT, I was reading a book today and this is a verse that stood out. I think it is appropriate.

"Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than people." Eph 6:7 NLT

I wish I had that in my heart while I worked at SC. Life would have been A LOT easier. Don't you think?

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are in a tough spot. I don't think I have any advice about what they should do either. But I think in general we as Christians struggle with lack of joy, peace and looking like the world because we do not understand what it means to abide in and find our life in Christ. When we get saved we think it is all about our sins are forgiven now go live for God. Fogiveness of sins is awesome, but do we allow ourselves to be Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I that lives, but Christ that lives in me"? No we still look to people, jobs, or things we can do for our joy, contentment, self worth and basically life. If Christ is trully formed in us how can we look the same as the world?
Stephanie

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'll be jiggered. I left a comment after quite a bit of thinking on this, and it's disappeared -- maybe never appeared!? Don't know if I can resurrect it or not.
Nancy

11:47 AM  
Blogger Papaw said...

sure like to hear your comments!

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home