Name:
Location: Ona, West Virginia, United States

Friday, February 03, 2006

FOOD FOR THOUGHT; wheaties for lunch

Yesterday Linda came to let me know the alfredo was almost done for lunch. My immediate reactions was "yuck, I can't eat it". I was thinking I could use the excuse that I wouldn't be able to eat it since I just had a root canal done in the morning, but (reading my mind) she promptly informed me that I could. I gave in (as I always do) and ate it. Wow, it was delicious! I think I ate 3 servings. Why my reaction? I thought of that awfull, instant, dried-out alfredo we ate while backpacking. Well this got me to thinking about eating habits and expectations or preconceptions. If you know me there is hardly any food that I don't like. I'm sure this is mostly due to being required to eat some of everything that was cooked when I was a child.

Not only were we required to eat some of everything but we always had to eat everything that was on our plate. I think I really believed that if I didn't eat the food some poor child in India was going to die of starvation. It didn't take me long to figure out that it was best to eat it even if I hurt afterwards. One morning I couldn't eat me wheaties, so my mom put them in a quart jar and put the spring house and I had to eat them for lunch! Yuck! I probably developed some poor eating habits as a result of this rule and I believe it is better to not force kids to continue eating if they are full. I can't remember if we forced you kids to eat everything or not. if we did please accept my sincerest apology! It is true that we usually raise our kids a lot the way we were raised. When I watch our children parent their kids, I realize that they have picked up a lot of our parenting styles (they do a much better job than we did).

Speaking of Food (I know you kids get tired of hearing this):

I can still remember my first ice cream cone;

I never knew what pizza was until I was 16; my sister (Sarah) and I decided to check it out. We went to a pizza shop and each ordered a pizza. The waitress asked us if it "was to go?" We said no. We were surprised when they served them to us. Not wanting to admit that we were ignorant, we sat there and ate them both. I have to thank my parents for training me to finish my food.

This training paid off again when I was challenged to eating a gallon of ice cream. (I have learned to be more specific when I accept challanges now.) The gallon of home made ice cream was presented to me after I had eaten a large dinner of steak and mashed potatoes. I've never been one for accepting defeat, so i ate it! It took a while and I hurt so bad that night that I couldn't sleep.

So, if you are requiring your kids to eat everything, there are benefits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home