Name:
Location: Ona, West Virginia, United States

Sunday, February 05, 2006

My favorite place to live

While sitting in the dentist chair, waiting for my gums to numb in order to do the root canal last week, the dentist, his assistant and I were talking. They became aware that we were transplants to West Virginia. It turned out that they weren't mountain people either and they have experienced the same response from people that we have about moving here. Local people are amazed that people actually move here. We've often heard that people don't move here but many move away from here. Statistics show that Huntington has experienced about a 50% decrease in population in the past 25 years. As Delilah has commented in previous blogs, we Millers are a little different so it sohould be no surprise that we moved here.

Speaking of moving, we have moved a lot. I believe we moved about 11 times by the time Stephanie was in 10th grade. If I remember correctly, we have moved 17 times (nearly every 2 years since we have been married). I think we lived in one place 12 years (Fredericksburg). I wonder why our friends no longer help us move? We have 2 more moves to make. The next move (if we get the house built) will be down the lane to the "skinny ridge", which is about 1000 feet. The last move will be to our graves. There is a possibility that there could be another move when we no longer can take care of ourselves and we move in with the kids. Which one of you lucky guys will get the blessing? If you don't wish to take us in then our request is to just let us be until we die. NO NURSING HOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have no intention of taking us in, let us know in advance and perhaps I can take a solo journey up one of these hollars (old native american tradition).

The dentists assistant asked me of all the places we have lived which has been my favorite. I hadn't really thought about that before but it didn't take much thinking before I could inform her that it is where we are now. I love it here! Why?

The very first reason has to be the people! First of all living back in the boonies with your family is one of the greatest blessings in the world. Having those neat, mischievious grandkids across the lane is wonderful. Having them "help" you is generally a lot of fun. I only regret I didn't take more time to do more projects with our own kids. There is something real special about these mountain people we live among that I have admired for years. They take time to talk! Over the years that I've brought youth to West Virginia, I've had experieces where they have gone out of their way to help us out. On one occasion when we had a vehicle break down they transported us to our destination: another time we were invited to come spend the night and they offered us breakfeast (to 13 dirty, smelly backpackers) These were complete strangers coming forward showing us Christ's love. We couldn't have better neighbors-they are always offering help. I find this very typical of most people here.

These mountain people don't have much money (we fit right in). West Virginia is the second poorest state in the nation, the second most obese state, has the highest coronary disease rate and yet,has the some of the best people in the world.

Another reason I like West Virginia is its beauty! The slogan "almost heaven" is a good description. Living back a long lane, in the woods, overlooking some fantastics hollars-how could you beat it?

At some later time I'll try to add more. I'm really learning to appreciate the culture of the mountain people. I'll even share a few things I don't like about West Virginia (there aren't many).

1 Comments:

Blogger delilah said...

I thought we already agreed that you won't live out a slow death...only quick unexpected ones. A long time from now, of course! No nursing homes and living with the kids. We don't want to have to change your diapers.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home