Name:
Location: Ona, West Virginia, United States

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Foriegn Language

I've been working with Eric that last couple times he has been off to help him find a job here. It is always extremely difficult for Eric to find new employment but finding good employment in WV is even more difficult.

Why is it so difficult? Eric has had only 3 jobs since graduating from high school and has never been unemployed. He quit his first job to move to Bloomingburg to appease his wife (BIG MISTAKE). He quit his second job after his wife threw him out. He needed to move to where his family was because he needs some assistance. Now he is looking for new employment in order to be with family again (he is currently employed at Rubbermaid in Akron).

Not many people have the employment stability that he has had. Every employer has bragged abour what a good worker he is. He is never late for work and shows up every day if there is any way possible. He has missed a few days which were totally out of his control and one time because of a communication problem he missed some days (he thought he was supposed to be on vacation). That is another story!

Eric has a disability. He is deaf and as with many deaf people he is academically challenged. His ability to read and write english is limited. He is limited to simple addition, subtraction, and multipication.

When I helped him find employment in the Akron area, he applied at tons of places and not one person contacted him. I would call places and get all kinds of stories, but I knew the reason he wasn't getting called was simply because he was deaf. He was qualified and had an excellent job history. (Eric needs help in applying for jobs because of his limited understanding of english.) He was never even called for an interview. Finally, we applied at Rubbermaid. It so happened they had a deaf person working there that could read lips very well and also voice almost perfectly.
They had found out that deaf people could be productive employees and hired Eric the day we applied.

Today Eric applied for a temp to hire position that sounds like could lead into a decent job. I had called the temp agency yesterday and fortunately they have a deaf person employed there who is working out well. We applied for the job today and Eric has a 4 hour interview/test on 2/23. When I informed them he would need an interpreter, they didn't undertand. "He can read the test," they said.

I've always heard and and agreed that ASL (american sign language) is not
english, but more recently it has become very clear to me. When Eric and I communicate via tty or im, we often have difficulty understanding each other, but when he calls me via sorenson (a service where he signs via video cam and his message is voiced to me), we seldom have any problems. It as though I'm talking with one of the other kids (actually he is a more talkative then Jake). It has given me greater understanding of Eric-he doesn't speak our language! Tim has done a terrific job picking up the language (asl); Linda does fairly well, but the rest of us are so so. I'm by far the weakest with his language (one of my regrets).

After going home and double checking the American Disabilities Act, I became bold and called the potential employer back and politely asked them to provide an interpreter as required by law. They agreed, let's hope they don't change their mind. I understand why employers are reluctent to hire and interpreter at 40-50 dollars per hour, but on the other hand we all have a responsibility to help those who have need.

It would have been easy for Eric to collect disability benefits (as many of the deaf people do). Instead he has chosen to work and has done his best. We are proud of him! We realize that he will always need a "helping hand" and thanks for all the help the rest of you have already extended to him.

1 Comments:

Blogger delilah said...

Eric is at my house right now and I was just thinking about how I communicate with him. Really, the only ASL I know, other than the 20 or so words I taught Jude, are about poop, sex and work. Hmmm...

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home