Name:
Location: Ona, West Virginia, United States

Thursday, February 16, 2006

WHY?

Today as I was working outside of Steph’s house I heard “Kellen Timothy”.  That translates into “this is really serious” or “you are in big trouble”.  A little later I heard “Lydia Renea”.  I started wondering why parents address their children by their first and middle name when they want to get their attention.  Linda and I did the same with our children.  Jason Paul!  Stephanie Lynn!  I guess we were lucky that Eric is deaf;  I find saying Eric Bartholomew to be sort of awkward.

I really got confused a little later when I heard “Nolan Miller”.  I couldn’t figure out why they would refer to him by his first and last name.  Oh this must be really serious, I thought.   Then I remembered that “Miller” is his middle name.  Later I talked to Steph about this and she asked me how our parents addressed us when they got serious since none of us 9 kids have middle names.  Traditionally Amish do not give their children middle names; instead they are given the first letter of the fathers name as their middle initial. Thus, all of us have “M” for our middle initial.  It helps keep track of who you belong to.  Steph wondered if they referred to me as “Paul M” when I got into trouble.
Since I never got into trouble, I do not know.  Hypothetically speaking,  if I would have gotten into trouble they probably would not have referred to me as “Paul M”; instead they would have used the rod (aka leather strap) to get my attention.

Since Linda’s parents always called her “Linda Sue”, I was wondering what they did when she got in trouble.  Did they add her last name?  Nancy, do you remember?  Oh course she will tell you she never got into trouble.  Was that because she was the spoiled one and could no harm?

So, why is it that people address their children with their first and middle name when they are in trouble?  Do most people do this or is this unique to people we know?  I’d love to hear your theories.

5 Comments:

Blogger delilah said...

I do not have a middle name. When I got in trouble my mom would make up a middle name...Delilah Joyce (pronounced Joe-isss, in true southern fashion). I used Jude's attention. I am sure a leather strap would be more effective.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

Who is Jason Paul?

12:34 AM  
Blogger Papaw said...

Jason Paul was quite effective since Jake only heard that name when it was serious. He has been know as Jake since the day he was morn. We thought we had picked such a good name for him but that all changed when I called grandpa and told nim his name was Jason. In his good old fashioned style he replied "Jason? People won't remeber that they will call him Jake" So Jason Paul has always been known as Jake, which brings me to a point. I believe, that in order to keep that tradition which grandpa started, we should be entiltled to name at least one of the grandkids. Tim and Steph?

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her memory is probably better than mine on this one. I remember getting in trouble, but don't remember if they used my middle name to get my attention. They didn't utter many threats before carrying out action. I remember one time on the way home from town (probably coming home from church), we had been fussing and Dad threatened to make us walk home. We continued until he stopped the car. Oops. Not another peep until we got home.
Nancy

10:11 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

Ok I know I posted a comment here this morning! What's up?
I believe the "tradition" to which you refer goes with the baby of the family so you will have to talk with J & D about naming their next one!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home